Friday, May 23, 2014

Fraction Jenga War

Yesterday I cruising the "Interwebs" and I came across this post from Math Coach's Corner about working with fractions and making them fun. 

I took a look at the Fraction War and thought, "This would be a great activity to do with my kids at the Boys and Girls Club."  I printed off the fraction cards and was all set and then I found my old Jenga game. 

I thought, "Maybe I could combine the two in some way to make this fun and exciting as well as educational." 

So, I set up the Jenga game as usual and placed the fraction cards in the center of the table. I posted the following on the board: 

Fraction Jenga War
1. Pass out cards to all players.
2. Play a card from your hand without looking.
3. Player with the largest fraction wins. 
4. Winner then picks Jenga piece. 

I picked up the students and explained the rules to them. Immediately, I was met with resistance: "This is going to be boring!", one of them exclaimed. 

I asked them how would they know unless they tried. 

Reluctantly we began to play. They had a blast! 

They were so engaged with the game and learning about fractional relationships! We will revisiting this activity again!  

Thanks to the Math Coach!  

2 comments:

  1. So glad that your kiddos enjoyed the game, Adrian!! There's nothing better than showing kids that learning can be fun. :)

    ReplyDelete